Building Inspections

Building Inspector – Chris Griffis /

 Building Inspections:

July 1, 2006 began Building Inspections in Wayne County unincorporated areas.  Fees are set by the Wayne County Commissioners.  

 Building Permits: Building permits are required in unincorporated areas of Wayne County.  If your project is located inside city limits see that city’s ordinances for applicable codes.

 Suggestion:  Download Building Inspection Tip Sheet before you apply for a building permit, this may save you time!

Download Building Permit form and fees, fill it out and bring it in to the Wayne County Tax Assessors Office at Walnut Street & Pine.  Before you come in to get your permit, make sure you have the following:

1.  Address

2.  Septic Tank Permit

3.  Blueprints

 What are the advantages to Building Codes?

Each one of us relies on the safety of structures that surround us in our everyday living.  Building codes provide safeguards and even though no code can eliminate all risks, reducing them to an acceptable level provides for a better living environment.  Other advantages would include helping to prevent instant slums, establishing a means of updating property assessments, lower insurance rates, helping in getting state and federal grants and satisfying the requirements of the water conservation act.

Who is required to have a permit?

Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done or move a manufactured home shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.  What is the cost of permits?

Construction is based in the value of the house or addition per Fee Sheet.

A 10 X 10 addition is $110 plus electrical, plumbing or HVAC.  Accessory structures used as tool or storage sheds; play houses or structures with similar functions that do not exceed 200 sq ft do not need a permit.  All normal maintenance and or emergency repairs do not require permits.  Substantially damaged structures in Flood Hazard Areas will be based on the Flood Ordinance.

When do I need an inspection?

An inspection is required at various stages of the construction process.  The first inspection would probably be a footing inspection before any concrete is poured.  If a slab is involved, any plumbing and/or electric installed under that slab would also need inspecting before concrete is poured.  The next inspection would be the rough-in inspection, which includes the framing, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and gas systems before any drywall is installed.  This inspection also includes fireplaces.  Sometime between this inspection and the final, an Equipment Check is required to get permanent power on the structure.  Last is the final inspection of the framing, plumbing, electrical and HVAC. 

Who should I call if I have questions regarding licenses, tests and investigation of contractors’ workmanship?

Call the Construction Industry Licensing Board at (478) 207-1416.

Who should I call if I have a complaint or dispute with my builder?

Call the Governor’s Office of Consumer Affairs at (404) 651-8600 or 1-800-869-1123. 

Who do I contact to ask questions about manufactured homes?

Contact the Office of the Georgia Safety Fire Commissioner, Manufactured Housing Division at (404) 656-9498.

Contact Us

Tax Assessor's Office  (more)
341 E Walnut St
Jesup, GA 31546
Get Directions

  • Phone: (912) 427-5920
  • Mobile: (912) 202-4102
  • Fax: (912) 427-5924
  • Staff Directory
  • Office Hours:
    M - F 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

In this Department

More Information